Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
The lymph nodes located on both sides of the throat are called tonsils. Tonsillitis is the infection caused by the bacteria or viruses which affect the tonsil, making them enlarged. Tonsillitis can be mild, moderate or severe. In chronic tonsillitis the tonsils are enlarged and also there are frequent infections in them. Tonsillitis is contagious disease which can spread from one person to another very quickly. Tonsillitis is the primary cause of sore throat
Symptoms of Tonsillitis
The symptoms of tonsillitis include:
· Body ache
· General body weakness
- Sore throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Reddish tonsils
- Tender and swollen tonsillar lymph glands
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- White or yellow spots of pus on the tonsils
- Loss of voice (laryngitis)
- Abdominal pain in children
- Bad breath
Causes of Tonsillitis
- Bacteria infection
- Viral infection
- Glandular fever
- Strep throat
- Toxicity of the system
- Lower vitality
- Sudden chill
- Affliction of the throat
- Chronic constipation
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
Some of the most effective home remedies for tonsillitis are given below:
- One of the best home remedies for tonsillitis includes a glass of warm water with four teaspoons of honey, a quarter teaspoon of common salt and a fresh lime squeezed in it. Drink it twice in a day.
- Another effective remedy would be to drink a glass of boiled milk, with a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper powder added to it, before sleeping. Have this for three nights in a row.
- Combination of carrot, beet and cucumber juice is beneficial in curing tonsillitis. Mix 300 ml of carrot juice, 100 ml of beet juice, and 100 ml of cucumber juice and drink once in a day.
- In 50ml of milk, boil 12 gm of Viola odorata flowers. Strain the milk, cool it and drink. The strained residue is also useful in treating tonsillitis. Fry it in a little clarified butter and wear it around the throat, as a poultice, at night.
- In half a liter of water, add 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds and simmer it for half an hour. Let it cool for sometime. Strain the water and gargle with it twice a day. It would be helpful in treating tonsillitis.
- In a grinder, mix equal quantities of mustard, horseradish seeds, jute seeds, flaxseeds, barley and radish seeds. Make a paste out of the mixture and apply it over the tonsils.
- Burn a few twigs of water hyacinth plant, to produce ashes. Put the ashes in mustard oil and apply it over the tonsils. This is a good way to reduce inflammation.
- Soak the roots of white pea in water. Grind them after a few minutes. Drink this water every morning and then eat a chapatti, smeared with ghee.
- Scoop out the pulp of bitter tumbi. Now, fill the kernel of the fruit, from which the pulp has been removed, with water and keep aside for few hours. Drink a little of this water, everyday, for a week. This is an effective way to cure tonsillitis.
- Another useful home remedy would be to boil some dry figs and grind them. Add water to it, to make a paste. Apply it over the throat.
- In a bowl of water, add a portion of babul tree bark and let it boil. Allow it to simmer for 20 minutes. Once cool, strain the decoction and use it for gargling.
- An effective home remedy would be to cut a lemon into two halves. Sprinkle some black pepper and salt on one of the halves and press it inside with a spoon. Keep licking the lemon till the entire juice has been extracted. Repeat the process two times a day.
- Consuming a diet comprising entirely of fruits, for three to four days, would help in treating the tonsillitis.
Tonsillitis Treatment and Advice
· Warm drinks, soft food and the use of throat lozenges and/or a mouthwash may ease swallowing problems.
· Drink plenty of fluids. Understandably a sore throat can discourage swallowing, but in tonsillitis it's common to lose a lot of body fluid through fever and mouth breathing. Dehydration adds considerably to feeling unwell.
· It's important to ensure you have adequate rest and stay in a warm environment.
Other Related Links