Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Sunburn is a burn of a living tissue as skin due to excessive exposure to Ultraviolet radiation. Sun burn causes fatigue and dizziness in animals and humans. In sunburn, the kin becomes red. Skin when exposed to Ultraviolet radiation becomes tanned. An excess exposure to ultraviolet radiations may be life threatening.
Symptoms of Sunburn
Symptoms of sunburn are:
- Premature aging of skin
- Rough and leathery skin
- Skin becomes cancerous
- Reddish and tender skin
- Development of blisters
- Peeling of skin
- Chills and fever
Causes of Sunburn
The main causes of Sunburn are:
- Working outdoors
- Outdoor activities, like swimming, skiing and hiking
- Consumption of birth control pills
- Antibacterial agents used in soaps and creams
- Inability of body to make enough melanin
Home Remedies for Sunburn
The home remedies described below are effective for sunburn:
- An effective remedy for treating sunburn would be to apply a cloth dipped in milk on the affected area. This would provide relief from the burn.
- Another effective remedy would be to rub the affected area with mustard oil. Apart from removing the burn, it would also provide relief from the itching.
- Apply sliced cucumber or potato on the sun-burnt area. They would provide a soothing effect to the area.
- Lavender oil is beneficial in treating sunburn. Apply it on the affected area to get relief from the pain and itching.
- Take some sandalwood powder and water. Prepare a paste from the two and apply on the affected area. This is sure to relieve a person from the burning sensation.
- In a bowl, mix tomato juice and buttermilk, in the ratio of 1:6. Apply this on the sun burnt area. Wash it after 30 minutes.
- Mix equal proportions of olive oil and vinegar and apply on the affected area. Wash this after about an hour. This will bring relief from the sunburn.
- Another effective home remedy would be to mix barley flour, honey and raw egg, to make a paste. Apply this paste over the sun-burnt area and wash off after sometime.
- Take some water in a bowl and put lettuce leaves in it. Place it on flame and bring to a boil. Once it has cooled down, strain the liquid and apply it on the affected area, using cotton balls.
- Before bathing, pour a cup of white cider vinegar into the bathtub and enjoy a long bath. This would provide relief from the sunburn.
- Mix wheat flour, milk and olive oil to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area. After the paste dries, wash it off.
- Applying Aloe Vera gel on the affected area proves beneficial in treating sunburns.
- In a blender, mix 2 tomatoes and 1 cucumber and make a puree. To this, add a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this paste over the suntanned and sun-burnt skin. Once dry, dab the puree once again. Repeat the process three times. It would help remove the burn and also add a glow to the skin.
- Boil some cabbage leaves and mash them. Apply the mashed cabbage over the tanned and sun-burnt areas. Wash off it after 15 minutes.
- Rubbing green gourd on the affected areas, 3 to 4 times a day, is helpful in removing the sunburn.
- A mixture of honey and lime is effective in treating sunburn. In 2 tbsp of honey, add a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this over the affected area. It would help lighten the tan and ease off the pain as well.
- In 3 tablespoons of milk, add 1 tbsp of turmeric powder. Apply this all over the affected area. Once dry, wet it a little and rub in circular motions, before rinsing it off with cool water.
Sunburn Treatment and Advice
· Take immediate care for stopping the UV radiation.
· For mild sunburn, cool compresses with equal parts of milk and water may suffice. Soak gauze or a soft clean cloth in it. Gently wring out the cloth and apply to the sunburned area for 15-20 minutes. Change or refresh the cloth and solution every 2-3 hours.
· Cool (not ice cold) baths may help.
Other Related Links