Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Mumps may be defined as an acute communicable disease; mainly of childhood, produced by a paramyxovirus and causes inflammation in the salivary glands, especially. The parotid in adults, mostly complicated by inflammation of the testes, ovaries. Mumps in simple words is a short-term viral infection of the salivary glands that generally occurs during childhood.
Symptoms of Mumps
Symptoms of Mumps are:
Swelling of the parotid glands.
Slight Feverishness (for two to three days).
Loss of appetite.
Nausea and vomiting.
Lower Abdominal pain in Women.
Causes of mumps
Some of the major causes of Mumps:
The main cause of mumps is Paramyxo virus.
Droplets from coughs & sneezes.
Lack of immunization
The mumps virus is found most often in saliva. It is spread by direct contact or by droplets through sneezes and coughs.
Mumps is most easily spread 48 hours before the symptoms begin.
Home Remedies for Mumps
The most effective home remedies for Mumps are:
- Grind dry ginger and make a paste with water. Apply this paste over the infected area. Not only would this reduce the swelling, but also subsidize the pain.
- Mash the leaves of margosa and add some turmeric powder and water, to form a paste. Apply this paste over the affected area. It would prove effective in treating mumps.
- It is advisable to avoid any kind of acidic food. The patient suffering from mumps should not be given citrus juices and curd. Instead, water and vegetable soup should be preferred.
- Liquids like rice water, flavored with some ghee and taken along with raw mango pickle, are amongst the ideal foods during mumps.
- Rub Chebulic myroblan herb in water. Apply this paste over the swelling. This is an effective home remedy for curing mumps.
- Smear the leaves of peepal leaves with clarified butter and warm them over fire. Place these leaves over the swelled area and bandage it properly.
- The leaves of the peepal tree are another effective home remedy for this disease. These leaves should be smeared with clarified butter and warmed over a fire. They should then be bandaged over the inflamed part for beneficial results.
- Dry ginger is considered beneficial in the treatment of mumps. It should be made into a paste and applied over the swollen parts. As the paste dries, the swelling will be reduced and the pain will also subside.
Mumps Treatment and Advice
- If you or your child develops symptoms of mumps, consult your health care provider for diagnosis.
- The swelling caused by mumps usually goes away in about ten days.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be used to reduce the discomfort and fever.
- Child suffering from mumps should not be sent to school for at least 7 to 10 days after symptoms begin, as he or she is considered contagious during that period - and will infect other children also in the school.
- The patient should be given soft foods to eat.
- Avoid Acidic Drinks - Acidic foods and beverages such as citrus or tomato products increase saliva flow. The more saliva flows, the more it's going to hurt. So, its better if the child drinks just non acidic fluids such as water or milk.
Other Related Links