Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Head Lice is also known as pediculus humanus capitis.Head Lice is parasitic insects found on the heads of people. Head lice lives on the scalp behind the ears and near the neckline at the back of the neck. Head Lice hold onto the hair with hook-like claws at the end of each of their six legs. Head lice are not found on the body, eyelashes, or eyebrows. Head Lice lay their sticky, white eggs on the hair shaft close to the root, while hatched lice are found on the scalp. Head lice infection is very common and easily acquired by coming in close contact with someone who has Head Lice, infested clothing, or infested belongings. Preschool and elementary school children and their families are generally affected.Infection with Head Lice is termed as pediculosis.
Head Lice increases by the contact or sharing of combs, brushes, caps, and other clothing. Head Lice can also be explained as tiny grey-brown, wingless insects, which live by sucking blood from the scalp. Head Lice’s eggs are termed as nits and they stick to the base of hairs, and look like tiny white specks.
Symptoms of Head Lice
Some of the symptoms of Head Lice are:
- A tickling feeling of something moving in the hair;
- Itching (caused by the an allergic reaction to the bites)
- Sores on the head (caused by scratching).
- Irritability (a very nonspecific thing, to be sure).
- Infestation often causes itching of the scalp, but may also go unnoticed. If you suspect head lice, check the base of hairs for eggs and comb the hair over a piece of white paper to see if you can spot any dark mature lice.
- Intense itching of the scalp, small, red bumps on the scalp, neck, and shoulders.
Causes of Head Lice
Here some of the causes of Head Lice are described:
- Head lice are transferred by close hair-to-hair contact. Head Lice walk from one hair to another. It is a misconception that Head Lice infestation is a result of dirty hair and poor hygiene. Head Lice can be found in all hair types, long or short, and in hair of any condition.
- Head lice infect hair on the head. They are easiest to see on the neck and over the ears. Tiny eggs on the hair look like flakes of dandruff. However, instead of flaking off the scalp, they stay put.
- Not washing hair for a long time,coming in contact with people infected with head lice,contamination in school
- Close proximity to stored belongings of an infected person,using common pillows, blankets, combs and stuffed toys.Sharing items, such as clothing, headphones, brushes, combs, hair decorations, towels, etc,contact with contaminated furniture, like beds and closets.
Home remedy for Head Lice
- One of the effective remedy for treating head lice would be to extract the juice from an onion. Apply this juice on the scalp of the head and keep it for 3 to 4 hours. Thereafter, shampoo the hair. Repeat this process for 3 days.
- Grind a raw custard apple with its seeds. Store the powder in an air tight box and apply it on the scalp before going to bed. Tie a cloth bandage on it. Have a head wash the next morning.
- Alternatively, custard apple powder can be used to make a paste using some water. Apply this paste and keep it overnight. Wash the hair the next morning. Not only would it clear the lice and the nits, but also keep the dandruff away.
- Mix 6 tsp of water and 2 tsp of vinegar. Dab this mixture on the scalp and tie a cloth bandage over it. Keep it overnight. Apply this mixture two times a week.
- Oil the hair using tea tree oil or any other essential oil at the night. Have a head wash the next morning.
- Another way to use the tea tree oil would be to add 10-15 drops of it into the shampoo. Use this shampoo as a hair wash.
- Take 1 tsp each of garlic and lime juice and make a paste. Apply this paste and keep it for half an hour. Thereafter, have a head wash.
- Take an apple and chop it into small pieces. Apply these pieces into the hair. Massage it well for about half an hour. Later, wash the hair. Repeat this for three days.
- Add some camphor to a freshly extracted coconut oil. Keep this overnight. Wash the hair the next morning. Repeat this process for at least 4 days.
Head Lice Treatment and advice
· Do not use extra amounts of the lice medication,
· Do not treat the infested person more than two times with the same medication (if it does not seem to work, see your health-care practitioner), and Do not mix head-lice medications.
Head Lice can be treated at home by either using a wet comb with conditioner, or medicated lotions, combined with a special nit comb available from pharmacies.
Other Related Links