Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Goiter may be defined as an abnormally enlarged thyroid gland; which can result from less production or excessive production of hormone or from a deficiency of iodine in the diet. Goiter is also termed as bronchocele, in simple words; is a swelling in the thyroid gland, which causes swelling of the neck or larynx (voice box). Goitre most commonly occurs when the thyroid gland is not functioning properly.
Symptoms of Goiter
Symptoms of Goiter include:
- Neck Swelling
- Neck Lump
- Swallowing Problem
- Shortness of Breath
- High-Pitched Breath Sounds
- Jugular venous engorgement
Causes of Goiter
Here are some causes of Goiter:
- They may have inherited a "weak" thyroid gland, which has to be stimulated excessively by thyroid stimulating hormone in order to make a normal amount of thyroid hormone.
- The body's immune system produces immunoglobulins that stimulate the thyroid to grow without either destroying it or stimulating it to make too much thyroid hormone.
- They may have conditions in which white blood cells in the body produce substances called "cytokines" that stimulate the thyroid to grow.
- Deficiency of iodine.
Home Remedies for Goiter
The most effective home remedies of Goiter are:
- A simple remedy to cure goiter would be to use dandelion leaves and ghee. Smear the leaves of dandelion with ghee. Warm it and bandageit over the affected area. Repeat this procedure for about two weeks.
- Ground the seeds of flax in water and heat it. Apply this on the swollen area. Then, bandage the leaves of the tree over it. it is a useful remedy for curing goiter.
- A simple way would be to do the neck stretches and exercises daily. These help stretch the muscles that are attached to the thyroid gland. Aerobics and jogging also help relieve a person suffering from goiter.
- Include barley water in the regular diet. Have it at least once every day to as it proves worthwhile in curing goiter.
- Take 1 tsp of the juice of the leaves of swamp cabbage with tea almonds. Consuming this combination once or twice a day is beneficial in treating goiter.
- A change in diet would be helpful in treating goiter. Include iron rich food in the diet such as guavas, strawberries, citrus fruits, egg yolk, sea food, whole rice, tomatoes, oats, onion, garlic, carrots and lettuce.
- Prepare a decoction of Kachnas (Bauhini variegate). Have 30 ml of decoction of bark two times a day regularly in an empty stomach.
- In case of an infant suffering from goiter, mother's milk is the best home remedy to treat goiter.
- Cool showers every morning and evening proves beneficial in curing the thyroid malfunction.
- Go for four to five smaller meals a day instead of having two to three large meals. This helps digest the food better.
Goiter Treatment and Advice
- For people who cannot avoid rice form their diet, consume the old variety of rice instead of the new one.
- Treatment with antithyroid medications if patient is hyperthyroid. This is extremely important prior to surgery to prevent an intraoperative thyroid storm
- Iodine - used to decrease vascularity in the gland prior to surgery
Other Related Links