Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Burning tongue is common mostly in the people between 40 to 65 years of age. The exact cause of the ailment of Burning tongue is yet not known. The Burning tongue ailment is characterized with experience of burning sensations in the lips, cheeks, tongues, gums etc. Burning Tongue sensation is acute and may last for a few weeks or even months in chronic cases.
Symptoms of Burning Tongue
The common symptoms of Burning Tongue are:
- A burning sensation, affecting tongue, lips, gums, palate, throat or whole mouth
- A tingling or numb sensation in mouth or on the tip of tongue
- Mouth pain that worsens as the day progresses
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Sore mouth
- Loss of taste
- Taste change, such as a bitter or metallic taste
Causes of Burning Tongue
Major causes of Burning Tongue include:
- Yeast infection
- Hormonal deficiency and/or abnormality
- Oral Candida, such as oral yeast
- Dry mouth
- Medications, like diuretics, oral diabetic medicines, some blood pressure medicines, etc
- Blood abnormalities, such as dyscrasias and anemia
- Endocrine disorders
- Nutritional deficiencies (especially vitamin B-12, niacin, iron, and folic acid deficiency)
- Gastric acid reflux
- Allergies from certain foods, toothpaste, mouthwash and chewing gums
- Dental disease
- Noxious oral habits, such as tongue biting
- Psychological factors, such as depression
- Chronic infections
- Inflammatory disorders
- Lingual nerve damage
- Tobacco use
- Oral cancer
Home Remedies for Burning Tongue
Home Remedies help a great deal in treating Burning Tongue ailment:
- An effective way to cure burning tongue is to suck on a piece of ice. It works wonders, treating the ailment effectively.
- Enhance the consumption of water. Larger quantity of water intake helps keep the mouth moist.
- Increase the consumption of food rich in Vitamin B, such as potatoes, bananas, lentils, chile peppers, tempeh, liver oil, liver, turkey, tuna, nutritional yeast (or brewer's yeast) and molasses.
- Apply glycerin on the tongue. It would give a cooling sensation, thereby relieving the pain and burning sensation.
- Another effective treatment for curing burning tongue is to have honey with milk. It increases the blood flow to the tongue, thereby healing it.
- For meals, resort to plain food, with lots of boiled vegetables. This would act beneficial in treating burning tongue.
- Lavender oil acts as an antiseptic. It not only works well to cure burning tongue, but also promotes blood circulation. Apply lavender oil on the affected area and leave overnight.
- Add iron rich food, such as broccoli, spinach and parsley, to your diet. They will help in treating burning tongue, by aiding the production of new red blood cells, replacing the damaged ones.
- It is recommended to have fresh fruit juice and vegetable juice, while suffering from burning tongue. These juices provide the necessary nutrients to the body and help relieve the burning sensation.
- Sugar free chewing gums would also be worthwhile in curing burning tongue. They keep the tongue moist and ease the pain.
Burning Tongue Treatment and Advice
· Minimizing the intake of citrus fruits and other similar foods can help you avoid this problem to a certain degree.
· Avoiding chewing tobacco can also help you keep the incidence of burning tongue to a minimum.
· Hot and spicy foods should also be avoided if you are prone to burning tongue.
· If you are allergic to certain oral hygiene products, it would be best to avoid these when you suspect that these cause your burning tongue problems.
Other Related Links