Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Walnuts (Juglans Regia)
Walnuts are a dry nut, enclosed between two semispherical hard shells joined together, and the fruit has a characteristic butterfly shape that resembles brains. Their white, slightly bitter flesh consists mainly of a blend of vegetable fats(60%), followed by a very respectable amount of protein (24%) and a lower amount of carbohydrates (10%). Walnut tree is deciduous tree which grows up to height of 30-130 feet and has around 21 species.
Botanical Name : Juglans Regia
Family Name : Juglanduceae
Common Name : Walnut, Persian Walnut, European Walnut, Akhrot
Part Used : Leaves, Barks, Fruits
Habitat : Himalayas, the Khasia hills, Japan and Europe
Properties of Walnuts
Walnuts are one of the best plant sources of protein. They are rich in fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, and antioxidants such as Vitamin E. Nuts in general are also high in plant sterols and fat - but mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (omega 3 fatty acids - the good fats) that have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol. Walnuts, in particular, have significantly higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids as compared to other nuts. Walnuts are very rich in juglone contained in the leaves and shucks of walnut fruits. This is an astringent, antifungicide and antiseptic substance which can be used as vulnerary and germicidal.
Uses of Walnuts
- Walnuts reduce the risk of heart disease by improving blood vessel elasticity and plaque accumulation.
- Walnuts help in the lowering LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and the C - reactive protein (CRP).
- Walnut helps in weight loss (even though the caloric content is fairly high) and enhances overall health.
- Melatonin, a hormone produced by the pineal gland, which is involved in inducing and regulating sleep and is also a powerful antioxidant, has been discovered in walnuts in bio-available form, making them the perfect evening food for a natural good night's sleep.
- Walnuts rich in Omega-3-rich helps in protect Bone Health and also Helps to Prevent Gallstones .It is for the presence of omega-3-rich it is also considered as brain food. Omega 3 also helps in anti aging.
- Walnut is used to stimulate the circulation in the feet or hands when chilblains have occurred.(Make a decoction with a handful of dried leaves for a liter of water. Pour the contents into a pan and add water until warm without stirring. Fill another bowl with cold water. Mix them and pour in the water of the bath.
- Walnut properties can be used for the external treatment of hair. An application of the dry leaves with water, on the hair will help us to prevent its fall.
- A vaginal wash with this dry eaves helps to eliminate the microorganisms causing vaginal flux. The astringent and germicidal properties of this plant can be profited to carry out gargles to treat affections of the respiratory tract such as Sore throat and Pharyngitis.
Other Related Links